Over many years, Elliott Lawson & Minor P.C. has aggressively represented business and industry before federal and state agencies, including the federal Equal Opportunity Commission, U.S. Department of Labor and similar state agencies. We have the experience necessary to promptly and effectively handle any employment law problem.
Bristol Employment Practices Attorneys
Our firm has substantial experience in responding to charges of discrimination and litigating cases filed under state and federal fair employment laws, including:
- Civil Rights Act of 1964 (Title VII)
- Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA)
- Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
- Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
We regularly assist employers when making discipline/discharge decisions that could result in charges filed with the EEOC and the litigation that follows. Some recurring issues:
- Employee suffers a worker's compensation injury, and asserts rights under state worker's compensation law, FMLA and ADA. We can help navigate the intersection of these laws.
- Employee requests FMLA leave, but fails to provide a certification of serious health condition. We can help protect the employer's rights.
- Employee suffers from current addiction to illegal drugs. We can provide guidance about discipline and discharge under ADA.
- Employee argues that his health condition caused him to violate work rules. We can help the employer enforce the rules without violating ADA.
- Employee believes he is entitled to leave to care for a relative. We can help the employer make the right decision about what is required under FMLA.
- Employee believes a supervisor discriminates against him because of race. We can provide guidance for future discipline of the employee.
Bristol Wage and Hour Law Attorneys
We have provided assistance to employers audited by the Wage and Hour Division of the federal Department of Labor. We can negotiate settlement of minimum wage and overtime pay violations and litigate those cases that can't be settled. More recently, DOL is asserting such violations as a result of misclassification of workers as independent contractors rather than as employees. Misclassification can result in substantial back wage and state and federal tax issues.
Bristol EPLI Lawyers
Many of our clients have employment practices liability insurance (EPLI), and they regularly request that our firm be retained to defend employment litigation.
Bristol Attorneys for Drafting Employee Handbooks, Employment Contracts and Employee Training
We frequently review, revise and/or create employee handbooks. No two employers are alike. We understand what is needed. We also regularly review, revise and/or create employment contracts for key employees. We understand non-compete and no-raiding/nonsolicitation agreements, and how to make them effective. Having an effective employment contract can avoid risks to any business. Finally, we understand that management, supervision and all employees must be trained to avoid workplace discrimination and harassment litigation. We understand what is needed to effectively train the workforce.